Discoloration – It’s Causes And The Best Cosmetic Solution
There are many reasons why teeth can lose their shine. Discolouration occurs when the shade of your teeth become darker through the enamel. This leads to surface stains that can be increasingly difficult to remove with general brushing and flossing.
The Three Discolouration Categories
There are three categories of tooth discolouration:
- Extrinsic Stains – This category consists of the surface of the tooth becoming stained. The particles typically form from consuming dark solids and liquids. This covers the tooth enamel. Any liquids other than water or watery drinks are bad for teeth. The shade on the teeth becomes darker and difficult to remove unless treatment from the dentist is administered.
- Intrinsic Stains – Stains can be formed below the tooth surface as well. This is known as Intrinsic Stains. Particles are formed and accumulated within the tooth enamel. When stains are formed, treatment such as professional teeth whitening is an ideal solution to remove the stains.
- Aged-Related Stains – Intrinsic and Extrinsic combine to discolour teeth. The yellow dentin loses colour and gradually turns to yellow. Tooth begins to thin out as we get older, meaning the dentin is shown when smiling. With a combination of bad food habits, bad beverages and smoking, teeth will become discoloured.
Causes of Discolouration
Here are the common causes of discolouration:
- Food and Drink – Dark solids and liquids are proven causes to discolour teeth such as coffee, dark sodas, wine, meat and even fruits.
- Poor Oral Routine – Inadequate brushing and flossing affect the health of your teeth, and teeth can become discoloured quickly.
- Smoking and Tobacco – Smoking and Tobacco will settle deep into the enamel, making it more difficult to remove even with treatment.
- Disease or Illness – Any disease or illness that affects the enamel will lead to discolouration. Trauma due to a physical accident can also be a root cause.
- Ageing – Discolouration is common when ageing. The enamel resides and the underlying tooth surface contains yellow dentin.
Teeth Whitening Treatment
Professional teeth whitening or bleaching is an effective form of treatment to lighten the shade on teeth. It is the most basic yet most effective treatment to whiten teeth. The bleaching agent used opens the pores in the enamel to break the molecules formed from discolouration. Hydrogen peroxide is the active whitening ingredient that breaks the molecules formed into smaller pieces to make way for brighter teeth.
Here are some additional benefits to teeth whitening treatment:
- Improves confidence in your smile
- Easiest to maintain with recommended oral hygiene tips
- Improves the health of teeth and restores your shiny appearance
- Safe and comfortable
- Delivers magnetic results
- Promotes positive well-being
Are you looking for a tooth whitening solution? Read here to learn how teeth whitening strips from drug stores damage your teeth
If you’re considering teeth whitening treatment for your discoloured teeth, contact Pinnacle Family Dental now and let your helpful team assist you with your smile needs.